Serving in Cuenca, Ecuador

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Rain and a Spider!

Monday brought with it a huge rainfall. So the river that is just outside our temporary apartment was rushing by and overflowing it’s sides, in fact the day earlier the kids had stood throwing rocks into the river that was at least three feet down and now it’s up past where they were standing. It is crazy how much rain can affect the rivers but when you live in the mountains that is the only way for it to come down from the top. The benefit of the rain is that it helps power the city as they use hydro power from the rivers to keep the city with energy.
As it wasn’t a great day to be outside playing so we decided to check out a few stores for furniture and other essentials for our new home once we move in. One of the places we heard of before coming here from a blog of a couple from Nova Scotia that are now living here is a place called Su Kasa, it’s a more like a store you can find in Canada.  It has more of the brands that we are familiar with and the types of home things that we recognize but also with that comes higher prices, so although it was great to go look at that store, we most likely won’t be buying from there.
After that store we stopped at a little cafe for lunch and the four of us ate for $5 u.s. dollars a large meal. In a lot of ways things here can be cheaper, I really don’t know anywhere in Canada that four of us can eat a meal for $5, well except at Little Caesars pizza which had just opened up in Regina before we left.
Afterwards we went to the grocery store called Super Maxi and found that they had an excellent selection of foods, including many foods that we are accustomed to in Canada for not much more then the prices we would usually pay for. Some of those things were pancake mixes and syrup, Kraft dinner and Travis’ favourite Mexican foods. We picked up some of the essentials and some things just to try and headed home for the kids to take a nap. During the kids naps, Travis has usually taken walks around the neighbourhood to scope out the things that our near us.
After their naps we took a walk to the mall for supper and as we walked by one place I happened to walk through a spider web, I didn’t really think much about it until we were at the mall and I felt a sharp pain on my neck, where a spider who had gotten stuck between my jacket and neck decided to take a bite out of me. Of course being in a foreign country where I know they have poisonous spiders I was concerned about the kind of spider that had bit me. I mean first Calen gets hurt and then I am bitten by a spider. Luckily I was able to see the spider and identify what it looked like but decided that in 15-30 minutes if something started changing or I was feeling funny, that we would head to the doctors right away. Fortunately many spiders that live near people are not actually dangerous and only have a sharp bite as was the case with my spider bite because after 10 minutes I didn’t feel anything anymore and the bite was starting to disappear. Needless to say, I now will check myself over the next time I walk through a spider web. Which to those of you who want to come visit but now are extremely scared, don’t worry, there are not many spider webs out there and even less spiders. In fact I have only seen two, the one that bit me and the daddy long-legs that I saw in the shower and drowned. Otherwise, we are spider free and insect free. Which I can say I saw way more of those types of things when I lived in Brazil, so Ecuador definitely has a plus in that area.

No comments:

Post a Comment