Serving in Cuenca, Ecuador

Friday, January 11, 2013

Women's International Latin Conference.


Untitled, originally uploaded by A Family On A Mission.

In November, I participated in the Women's International Conference that was held just outside of Cuenca by the other church of christ in the city. Women from all over Latin America came to enjoy a time of fellowship and spiritual growth. There were people from Colombia, Peru, Honduras, the States and so many more places. I ended up sitting with a group from Colombia, they really wanted me to go there to visit sometime. I said I'd love to but would have to see how possible it was. It was fun getting to know them and it was fun to listen to them talk. Even as they spoke Spanish it was fun to hear their accent. It's like someone who speaks English from Jamaica, just Spanish and from Colombia. They laughed at how I talked too, not a surprise there. I also met an older women from the States that has lived in Ecuador for over 25 years in a city called Riobamba. She moved here with her mother after her husband died and taught English. Her mother has also past away but she remained here even though the rest of her family lives in the States. She must be about 85 or so and is still very active in the church in Riobamba as well as still teaching English from her home. We enjoyed our visits and she let me in on some secrets to living her, to her struggles and her joys of working in a foreign country. I hope that we will get to visit her someday soon and be able to see the work and the church there in Riobamba.

No comments:

Post a Comment